Does This Mean?
So, now that we have the knowledge and technology to clone and to perhaps even one day create dinosaurs, should we do it? Should we be able to clone humans, or bring dead pets back to life? It is ok to create vegetables that have fish genes in them?
Let's take a look at the pros and cons of genetic engineering...
Pros for Genetic Engineering
- GE can help treat many gene related diseases. Good genes can replace faulty genes and cure diseases such as Tay Sachs and Cystic Fibrosis.
- GE creates food that is healthier and heartier. This food becomes more easy to grow and easy to harvest.
- GE can also create blood match organs for transplants.
Cons for Genetic Engineering
- GE food are patented and cause farmers to pay extra money for crops and put many farmers out of work.
- GE food also may be dangerous. At this time we do not know if any harm can be caused from eating GE food.
- GE could allow people to create clones of themselves or to created organisms that have all sorts of genes combined.
Overall, there are many ethical questions relating to Genetic Engineering. These issues must be answered and thought about carefully when we start to alter genes.
More on Pros and Cons of Genetic Engineering