Weaver Street Workshops
9:00 am to 11:00 am
Topic for workshop: Introduction/weather models
Instructor: Lateasha Shirer
Number of Students: 9 Grades: 3-7
1. Provide a brief overview of the workshop (i.e. purpose, activities and materials):
The beginning of this class was devoted to learning everyone's name and history. The class
played a game called "Introduction Uno". Each student was able to look at models on their
2. Did the students engage the workshop and ask questions?
The students asked questions about the temperature applet. There were a lot of different web
pages for the students to go to.
3. Did the students seem to learn and understand the material? For example, can the students
explain what they learned?
For example, can the students explain what they learned? The students didn't understand the
explanation Mrs. Maclean gave. The students understood how the slider bar changed the applet.
4. Is this material appropriate for the K-7 grade level? Is it more appropriate for K-3 or
4-7, and why?
I think older student would understand this material better. From grades 6 and up. The 4th
grade level had trouble understanding the weather model.
5. How do the materials and activities apply to the science and math the students are
The news channels use weather models to deliver the weather to the public. The students needed
to know how the models work.
6. Do you have any suggestions for improving the lesson plans or activities to be more
appropriate/effective for this age group?
This lesson needs to be more researched for more detail. The instructor needs to find good
websites for the students to look at.
7. Additional Comments: CSERD has great weather models, but it is a little complicated to get